Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: DV (firewire) Capture Vs Analogue (Svideo)

  1. #1
    Inactive Member o2pb's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2004
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have all in wonder radeon 9700 pro. It has svideo, and 3 plug inputs. My camcorder has those, and Firewire port. What should I use?

    I don't have Firewire on my comp, but I was going to get Audigy 5.1 with firewire anyways.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member shirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2000
    Posts
    274
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hmmm...

    First off, when possible, use firewire! It's worth the $70 or so for a card because it keeps your signals 100% digital. Basically, whenever you shoot and capture with Mini DV/ Firewire you will not lose any quality if captured uncompressed because, of course, it's digital!

    Now, as for an analog input use the S-Video connection. You won't lose as much quality in comparison to composite.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member o2pb's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2004
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Does Firewire capture in real time..... or faster/slower?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Yammeryammeryammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Realtime when capturing in most editors.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member anasazifilms's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 19th, 2000
    Posts
    125
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Use firewire. Full Stop.

    Premiere DOES capture analogue footage... but is sometimes very picky about which cards its works with... and settings can be a pain too... just play about with it. If you CAN select your audio card (or Composite option) and are able to go to the advanced settings then it recognises your card and you are harlf way there. If not (and you have reinstalled your driver) then sorry folks, it will not work.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    The fire wire input is all you need. If you must capture footage from an analog source just plug said source into your DV camera's analog outputs (if your camera is relitivly new they are also IMPORTS) Then plug the camera into the PC's fire wire port and press play on the ANALOG source and record on the PC. Your DV camera will digitize your analogue footage on the fly while your PC captures it.

    You don't even need the Analogue inputs on your PC.

    Despin out.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member o2pb's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10th, 2004
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ahhhh I see. Premiere only captures using Firewire? I can't get it to do so using analogue.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Littlerich's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 21st, 1999
    Posts
    506
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, firstly, Premiere DOES capture AND output using analogue cards. I was running a system using a Matrox Rainbow Runner card, and this worked fine, although I had to manually configure the settings.

    Secondly, DV / Firewire is a LOT better to use, (IMHO) because it's:
    EASIER (Operate the camcorder via PC),
    CLEANER (it stays digital) and install is a
    LOT FASTER TO SETUP(I had firewire card installed, and working with premiere in about 10 minutes, without changing any settings , premiere recognised it straight away!).

    So, I'd recommend using firewire where possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •